Sunday, September 26

Fall = Glazed Spelt Pumpkin Scones!

With the drop in temperature, I am feeling like fall already. Foodwise fall equals chili, hot apple cider, slow cooker soups, Sunday morning homemade cinnamon rolls, and pumpkin scones!
This morning, I decided to make a batch of pumpkin scones, I am sort of watching what I am eating, so I decided to make them a bit healthier.  Now spelt flour does give a different texture than regular flour, but it is a whole grain & even has a bit of protein.

Here's my recipe:
2 1/2 cups spelt flour
1/2 cup unbleached flour
9 tbl sugar
1 tbl baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
7-8 oz canned pumpkin( 1/2 of 15 oz can)
1 egg
4 tbl almond milk
6 tbl cold butter
sugar, for sprinkling on top, optional

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbl milk

Combine all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.  Cut butter into cubes, add to bowl and beat into until the texture of coarse sand.  Add in pumpkin, egg & milk, fold in just until able to form into a ball(you may have to add more flour or milk to be able to do this).  Separate into two sections.  Pat out each section on a floured surface into a 1 inch thick circle.  Cut each circle into 6 wedges & place on a parchment lined baking sheet( I usually sprinkle some sugar & cinnamon on top also) .  Bake in 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes until begin turning a light brown.  Remove & place on cooling sheet. 
While cooling, prepare glaze by mixing all ingredients until smooth.  I like to pour the glaze over scones while still warm so glaze melds into top layer of scone.

Get a mug of Hazelnut or Vanilla Caramel Coffee and try not to eat more than one.....

3 comments:

  1. I do like scones, but never thought about pumpkin before. These look absolutely delicious...MUST TRY!!
    I know what you mean about food and fall lol! We hardly use the oven at all (or cook indoors for that matter)spring through fall! For the past 2 weeks I've been back to making bread in the early a.m. I've even brought out the crockpot and made a few soups...got chili going in the crockpot for this evening...mmmm and last evening I made biscuit topped chicken potpie and ended the evening with glazed pumpkin cookies....not quite scones, but yummy still LOL! It was an egg-less recipe even from allrecipies.com...0,zip cholesterol!! It was actually a recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies, but I omitted the chips and subbed the shortening for healthier non-hydrogenated veg. oil (2/3c), used half the cinnamon and added my pumpkin pie spice mix (that I blend together and keep on hand) in place of the 2nd t. of cinnamon and glazed with a powdered sugar/vanilla icing. Think tonight feels like a cherry cobbler night..w/cherries picked fresh from the yard (now frozen)...hmmmm?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW..It's ok to feel like fall already..it was officially the Fall Equinox on Sept. 23rd :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vera, chicken pot pie sounds good, I think I will make one this week YUM!

    ReplyDelete